When I was writing Life As We Knew It, I fantasized about its being used in book discussion groups. To my delight, after it was published, I found that to be the case.
I thought it might be interesting if someone were looking for book discussion topics about any of the moon books to get some ideas from their author (aka Me). So last night I worked on it, and came up with 5 discussion topics for each of the three books. Feel free to use them or to use them as starting off points or to refuse to use them because your own ideas are better!
Life As We Knew It
1. Does Miranda's family do enough to survive? Is there anything else you can think of to do that they didn't?
2. Matt, Miranda, and Jonny are all athletes. Do you think that helped them? If so, how?
3. What everyday thing would you miss the most? What would you be most worried about?
4. How would things have been different in Mom hadn't made them stockpile all the groceries and supplies on Crazy Shopping Day?
5. Did Miranda skate with Brandon? What do you think the author thinks?*
* The author thinks they did skate. She was actually surprised when she learned some people thought it was a fantasy. Then she reread the book and discovered Miranda wasn't so sure herself!
The Dead And The Gone
1. Alex has an older brother Carlos who is in the Marines. How would the book have been different if Carlos were still at home?
2. New York City was being kept alive so valuable books, paintings, and documents could be saved. If you could save something that represents the world you know, what would it be?
3. Would you have sent Bri to the farm? Would you have let your aunt and uncle take Julie?
4. Alex learns there are places rich and powerful families can go to. Do you think there's a way of saving everybody in such a disaster? If not, who would you protect?
5. Are Alex's parents still alive? What do you think the author thinks?**
** Sadly, the author thinks both Mami and Papi are dead. She was actually surprised to learn some readers thought one or both might still be alive.
This World We Live In
1. Miranda learns that Dad and Lisa wanted her to go with them when they made their abortive trip out west. What might have happened to her if she'd gone?
2. Electricity comes on long enough for Mom to play some music. If you hadn't been able to listen to music for months, what would you play?
3. How would the book have been different if Matt hadn't brought Syl home?
4. Miranda takes on the responsibility of what to do with Julie. What would you have done?
5. The book ends with the characters starting their journey to Tennessee. What do you think happens to them?