Monday, September 15, 2008

For Those Of You Who Live In New Jersey

New Jersey, a very high quality state, has a One Book New Jersey voter selection process for the next few weeks, and Life As We Knew It is one of the young adult choices.

Should you live in New Jersey and be interested in voting for it, or any of the other books in any of the categories, here's the link: http://www.onebooknj.org/vote2009/

Yes, I confess, I voted once, even though I don't live there. What can I tell you. My finger slipped. But more to the point, I e-mailed my brother and sister-in-law, who really do live in New Jersey, so even if you don't happen to live in New Jersey, but your brother and sister-in-law do, they might be interested. Or even if you don't live in New Jersey and neither does your brother and sister-in-law, you might be interested in all the books listed. Or in sponsoring a One Book Name Your State event like New Jersey's.

Anyway, they request that people just vote once, and while they don't say they limit their votes to Garden Staters, I'm sure that's their preference. But I'm delighted that LAWKI is one of their nominees, and if I don't tell you (and my brother and sister-in-law) who can I tell?

6 comments:

Lauren said...

I found your blog today from a comment on the discussion forums for Life As We Knew It on Amazon, and I'm so glad I did! I just found LAWKI at the library last weekend and it's by far the best book I've read in ages. Technically, I was looking for The Year Without Michael at the library - I remember reading that in high school and loving it - but found LAWKI and The Dead and the Gone instead. I'm a high school English teacher and recommended both books to my students. I'll have to return them to the library soon so that my students can check them out! Thank you for writing such fantastic books.

(I'm going to have to harass the library into finding The Year Without Michael for me!)

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Welcome Lauren. It's a pleasure to meet you.

If your librarian can't find a copy of The Year Without Michael, just e-mail me via the link on the top right of the blog, and I'll mail you one. I have a number of them in the outside storage closet cabinet, and now that I've reorganized the closet, I can actually get to the cabinet without too much risk to life and limb (a little danger always livens things up!).

Paige Y. said...

Susan,

I wanted you to know I booktalked the Year Without Michael last week and before any students could grab it, the teacher had snatched it off my table! I'm hoping it makes the rounds through the class.

By the way, I'm pushing LAWKI for the NC book award -- I've booktalked it already but have troulbe keeping the copies on the shelf -- they are always checked out.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Paige Y and, as always, thank you-

I just remembered my favorite Michael story. I was told of a teacher who decided to read it out loud to his students, a bit at a time. He got to the ending, and without wishing to give too much away, his students were quite upset by it.

So he gave his copy to the school psychologist, who read it, and then went to the students and offered them his version of an ending. The students felt better after that.

The mixed up letters I have to spell are zgotinx. I kind of like the idea of my being a zgotist!

Linda Jacobs said...

I just voted for LAWKI even though I'm not from NJ and don't know anyone who lives in NJ. I did have a boyfriend from Paramus, once, but even he doesn't live there anymore.

Good luck!

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Good evening Linda Jacobs (I thought that would be a nice change from Hi)-

Thank you for your vote. I'm sure once having had a boy friend who once was from Paramus is sufficient (it's practically less than one degree of separation).

It's really an honor that LAWKI was nominated. One of these days, I'd like it to win something, but with all the excellent books out there, just to make the final cut gives me great pride.