Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dank Sie Anonym

My new best friend, Anonymous, left a comment this morning to announce the name of the German translation of The Dead And The Gone: Die Verlorenen von New York. Anonymous says that means "The Lost Ones Of New York."

As we all know, the extent of my German is "pfeffer" and "Ich bin ein Berliner." So I'm taking Anonymous's word on this (as I'm taking some English/German translation service that Dank Sie Anonym means "Thank you Anonymous," and for that matter, I'm hoping that's German and not Danish or some other language that could be abbreviated as de).

As soon as I learned what the title was, or more accurately, will be, I scurried over to German Amazon to see what I could find.

And then, I actually taught myself how to take an image from the internet (in this case by way of German Amazon) and post it here!



I think this cover is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the translated title. So today I am a very happy and grateful unlost person of New York.

Danke again Anonymous!

8 comments:

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

Wow, that cover is amazing! Congrats, Susan!

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Thank you Lisa-Marie Jordan and I'm not even going to try to find a German translation for "Congrats!"

Nora said...

I love that cover too! It really captures the feel of the book.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Nora-

I agree. Very dark and dangerous (two words rarely used to describe me)!

Claus said...

Not anonymous anymore...

The cover is really amazing, but I found the german title uninspired

btw 'congrats' means "gratuliere" and don't trust translation machines.

Claus (No I don't live on the North Pole)

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hello to Claus, aka Anonymous-

I don't trust translation machines, but since the only languages I ever studied were Hebrew, Latin and French and I've forgotten 99.97% of what I learned, I do find the internet's willingness to interpret for me a great help.

I wonder if the German version of d&g will include the Spanish phrases the internet taught me!

Claus said...

I read the blog yesterday evening (I'm still waiting for the second book) and saw that you love abbreviations. And then I abbreviate the re-translated german title to TLOONY...

(German abbreviations are like buzzing sounds: DWWWSK and DVVNY)

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Guten Tag Claus-

I like TLOONY. I'm sure there are those who think of me as ALOONY (editors and agents come to mind), and TLOONY is just a bit more formal!