Friday, April 1, 2011

The Day I Understand This World

Will probably be the day I destroy it all over again.

I was just about to write an entry about how my new printer hates me and vice versa (okay, not an entire entry, but the entry into an entry so to speak), but as I got ready to sign in and start whining, I looked over at the poll votes, and the total had gone up. Lookit->

I thanked all of you yesterday and said there were 217 votes, and now there are 252 votes. The thing is yesterday morning when I checked, I saw some of the previous night's votes had vanished,lowering the total to 217, but I decided to be all good and mature about it (although I did mourn the lost votes at lunch with my friend Hilarie), but it really made me sad. Of course that was before I broke my new printer and sad turned into irritated and grouchy. Only who can be irritated and grouchy when they get those 35 votes back, even if one of them is No. Well, I can, but I'm naturally gifted.

Still,I love having 252 votes on the poll. Although with my luck, it'll be back to 217 by the time I finishing posting this post. Le pessimistic sigh.

Anyway, it's a very good thing that my printer didn't break until today, because yesterday after I got home from lunch, I found an email from darling Google, leading me to this review of Life As We Knew It on the Woman's Day magazine website, and I was so excited, I printed a copy. Which I could, because my new printer was working yesterday, as opposed to today.

Darling Google wasn't through with me (unlike my new printer and vice versa), and today it sent me a link to this list from YALSA, declaring This World We Live In is an Amazing Audio. Which it is, thanks 90% to Emily Bauer who did the reading, and 10% to me who did the writing and the printing on a printer that didn't hate me and vice versa.

Meanwhile, for those who are still reading and wondering, I completed the first draft of Hart last weekend, but I decided it needs a new Chapter 2, which most likely I would have written this afternoon, except for a run-in with a certain printer that shall remain nameless (and rightly so, because who the heck names their printers?).

And speaking of names, if (Blogspot doesn't let me underline, so bolding will have to do) I write Book 4 (only time and my publisher will tell), the working title will be The Shade Of The Moon. It has 5 single syllable words, just like Life As We Knew It, The Dead And The Gone, and This World We Live In, and since the trilogy never got an official trilogy kind of name, I call them the Moon books, so one of them should have Moon in its title even if then becomes a quartet, so it would thus lack a quartet kind of name. I know the UK and Amazon think of the three books as The Last Survivors, and a fine thing it is, but I still think of them as the Moon books (or sometimes the moon books).

Oh dear. Wouldn't it be awful if the 252 vote total is a nasty Blogspot April Fool's joke, and tomorrow I check and it's back to 217. Le triple pessimistic positively mournful irritated and grouchy sigh (and vice versa)!

10 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Susan Beth Pfeffer that is a fantastic title. My favorite yet.

Fear Death By Water said...

woooooooo! \m/>.<\m/

April said...

love that title. :)

Becky said...

I do love that title. And I always think of them as the moon books too.

Linda Jacobs said...

Wow, love that title! This is exciting! It's like when a blog friend announces she's pregnant!

Unknown said...

I like the title. Sends shivers down my spine

Anonymous said...

Well, that answers my question

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Happy Sunday Mr. Cavin, Fear Death By Water, April, Becky, Linda Jacobs, qwertyuiop and Anonymous-

It occurred to me after the fact to check on Amazon for other books called The Shade Of The Moon, but having done so, I think I can stick with it as a title.

Of course if Houghton Mifflin Harcourt decides they don't want a fourth book, or they want one different from one I'd be interested in writing, then it won't matter what the title is!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a little late to vote but, if its any consolation, I really would love to see a fourth book.. I going to the bookstore tomorrow and buy the third one.. I pass the book on to my son, and husband when I'm through with them so combined that 3 more votes. Oh yeah, I'm an 55year old lady. Your books are fantistic. Your books are for all ages...

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Anonymous-

I didn't vote in my own poll, but as the moment I would like to write a fourth book.

Of course as of the moment, I haven't heard from my publisher if they'd like a fourth book. It's nice to know what I'd like to do, but it'd be a lot nicer to know what they'd like me to do!