Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Promotion Is Always Better Than Demotion

As I'm sure you remember, because I know for a fact you commit to memory every single word I write here, my lovely publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (yes, the royalty check has arrived at my agent's, so my publisher is lovely once again) created survival kits as a way of promoting The Shade Of The Moon.
I got my survival kit a couple of weeks ago, but I've been too distracted to tell you about it. Here's what it looks like.

 My favorite part was the Attention! Life As We Knew It Survival Kit enclosed! label on the outside box, which I put it into the bag, and then removed it for this photograph.


Scooter was considerably more interested in the color coordinated green whistle and flashlight.

It's been Scooter's life's dream to star in a revival of Anyone Can Whistle.



My lovely publisher sent the Survival Kit to independent bookstore owners as a way of announcing the upcoming publication of The Shade Of The Moon.
 
I can only imagine their lovely reaction to this extremely lovely blog entry at Publishers Weekly about the the fabulously lovely survival kit.
 
The reality is (or at least my reality is, and I don't think I'm alone with this reality), it's genuinely exciting to see promotion for you book. It takes time and effort and money on the publisher's part and I'm very grateful.
 
And Scooter thinks it's an excellent new toy!

14 comments:

Nora Durbin said...

Speaking of promotion, do you know what day you'll be at ALA?

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Nora Durbin-

I haven't gotten details yet, but my understanding is I'm doing a pre-conference event that Friday and will be autographing Saturday morning.

When I know more, I'll tell everyone!

SnapshotScan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Stiffler said...

Very excited for your new book...and the promotional survival kit! I read the first 12 pages and love where I found Jon. I will be pre-ordering on Amazon shortly! Good luck!

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Thank you, Mary Stiffler!

Leeanna said...

That is quite cool! I like to see publishers promoting books in new ways.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Thank you, Leeanna-

My friends are very impressed, and they don't impress easily!

Sarah said...

Susan! I just saw this online at Mashable and I thought of you immediately! Thankfully this didn't go the way of the Moon novels, but still ...

http://mashable.com/2013/05/17/moon-explosion/

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Sarah-

Boy, my publisher is sparing no expense to promote my books.

Those giant meteor/moon explosions ain't cheap!

Sarah said...

I'd love to know how they did it! :)

Ing said...

"And the best part about this kit is the book, which I cannot put down."
Best line ever! Hooray!
I can't wait! And I will be ALA this June, too! Oh man! Hooray!

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Thank you Ing, and I hope to see you at ALA!

Erica said...

Oh these little survival kits are so neat! You must be so chuffed with them. Obviously Scooter is.

I came to your blog page to tell you how much I enjoyed your Last Survivors books and how excited I am to read the next one coming out this year.

And also because I have a question. I was wondering how your last name is pronounced. I am sure when I say it in my head I am completely butchering it. Is the "p" silent?

Anyway thanks so much for the hours of entertainment you have provided me with your books. And I know this is weird and random (hell, so am I!) but I saw your photograph on your Goodreads profile and I think you are adorable, like whoa.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hello Erica-

Yes, the "P" is silent. Somewhere over on the right side of the blog, there's a link to my saying my name out loud.

And I am definitely adorable, although most people don't realize it. You've heard, no doubt, of inner beauty.

Well, I'm full of inner cutie!