Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Blue Plate Special

Over in the New Year's wishes comments section, Fear Death By Water asked about autographed copies of This World We Live In. In lieu of answering directly, I set up a poll.

What I did for Life As We Knew It and the dead and the gone was have bookplates created and printed, which I signed in red ink for anyone who wanted one. I distributed more than 2,000 of them and sent them all over the world. Most went to individual owners of the books, while others were given to book discussion members or placed in copies for sale at independent bookstores or given to classes who read one or the other book.

I have to order them 500 at a time. I did a couple of re-orders and then I stopped.

But now with d&g in paperback and This World We Live In soon to come out, I'm giving serious thought to reordering plates for the first two books and getting a new one designed for the third. The latter will probably say Trust In Tomorrow. I don't know what the moon will look like though, but of course there'll be a place for me to sign it (in red ink).

The way it would work is that you would email me if you want one or more of any or all of them. Then I sign them and stick them in an envelope and put on the appropriate amount of postage and off it goes.

Once you get the bookplate(s), you do whatever you want with it, which could include putting it in the book it was designed for and thus making it a pretty much autographed copy.

But I have no way of knowing if there's an interest in any of this, which is why I put the poll up. Like all my polls, it's totally non-binding, and there's no need for you to email me just yet, especially since I don't have any bookplates to mail out right now. The poll is there to guide me in my future plans.

You let me know what you want, and I'll have a much better idea of what to do!

13 comments:

Beleth said...

Since i live outside of the US its impossible for me to go to signigs, and bookplates are the only way to have a book that i like signed. So, yes to bookplates :D!

Anonymous said...

Whatever the result of your poll is, I want to truly thank you for being so generous.

Glen

Sarah said...

Wow. That would be wonderful. As a librarian, I'm wondering, would it be ok to get bookplates to place in library copies? Patrons always like that.

ui said...

I love the books and would love to have my copies of them signed by you. I also live outside USA and this would be my chance to have that.

Judi J said...

This is really generous, Susan. Thank you. I love my Always have hope and Never Lose Faith stickers that you posted all the way to Australia last year (maybe even the year before?) so would adore a Trust in Tomorrow to complete the set that are the first things I see when I open my diary each morning. A Happy New Year and Warm regards to you, your Mother and Scooter. Judi

Friendly Neighbourhood Bookseller said...

I voted for five or more of each as my customers love getting them. Thanks so much for your generousity and kind spirit, Susan...even if you don't go ahead with this plan, you've already given us a lot.

PS My word is Untice...sounds like when you're trying to put someone off something, doesn't it?

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

Oh, yes, this is awesome! I'm totally voting!

Sunbrarian said...

Absolutely! I loved the first two bookplates and was hoping you would create one for this book too. I think "Trust in Tomorrow" is perfect! I loved the book and will be writing my review soon.

Fear Death By Water said...

I'd like one of each of the first two (I'd've asked for them before but didn't I could ask) and one of the third.

-tim

Thanks for the post ... you are one of a kind.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the amazing offer. If i never get to go to a book signing, than this would be the gtreatest

Jenni said...

I'd be interested in the 'Never Lose Faith' one! :)

holdenj said...

I did receive the first two signed moon plates and would love it if you found a way to do a third! Thanks for your generousity!

GradyBoleyn said...

Are any of these still available? You sent me some a few years ago and I've been looking for them for so long and can't find them. I think I actually returned them to the library in LAWKI long ago.