Monday, January 18, 2010

Without Google, I Would Know Nothing

Lately Google has felt the need to email me every time one of my books is available on eBay. Oddly enough, I have less than zero desire to know about this, but you know Google. Once it gets it into its thick little skull that I'm interested in every single thing about me, it feels the need to inform me of every single thing about me.

That Google has no sense of discretion. I will never ever ask it if my outfit makes me look fat (actually none of my outfits make me look fat, since I look fat just fine without any help from my outfits).

Yesterday was the official publication date of the paperback of the dead and the gone, which would have had more significance if copies of it hadn't been on sale for weeks already. Although I do have to say today is the official date of the Kindle release of d&g, and Amazon held to that date. So happy National Kindle Release Day one and all!

Anyway, in honor of the official paperback publication date, Google sent me a link to Deep Discount's d&g page. Hot diggety. I'm making money off of Deep Discount instead of vice versa.
I pulled out my calculator, and figured out that based on a royalty of 48 cents a copy, Deep Discount will have to sell one kerzullion, nine hundred twenty two zillion and thirty seven copies for me to get half as much money from them as they got from me since April.

That seems doable.

I also got a very interesting email from Google to a blog entry about the UK book jackets for Life As We Knew It, the dead and the gone, and This World We Live In. This was the first I'd seen of the TW UK jacket (I'm not kidding when I say without Google I would know nothing).

I like the way all the jackets are lined up for an easy compare and contrast. That kind of thing is way beyond my blogging skills (which reminds me- be sure to admire the new Scooter picture I put on the right side of the blog).

All right. In honor of National Kindle Release Day (have you noticed, there's no mail delivery today? That's why you need Kindle), I'll be going to my mother's in a few minutes. Usually, when I go there, it's to set up her pills for a couple of weeks, and pay any of her bills that are lying around. Today I'll be doing both those things, and searching with her for witnesses because she'll be signing her revised will. In other words, today is devoted to pills 'n bills 'n wills.

I'd love to know what's in her will, but Google won't tell me!

ETA: Thanks to Google, I found this description (with jacket) of the German version of LAWKI.

14 comments:

Wendy said...

I like the original UK covers with the single person walking in the snow--especially the LAWKI one. The new ones are kind of cheesy (as the blogger's commenters mention).
Happy Kindle Release Day.

Becky said...

I much prefer the US covers. But thanks for the link. It's always interesting to see what different covers there are for a book.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hello to Wendy and Becky-

My mother decided not to get dressed today, so I ended up not going over. Her will will have to wait until tomorrow (when she'd better get dressed).

I just went back to the blog with all the covers, and I looked for the first time at the 3 US covers all neatly lined up.

I had never realized before that the moon gets bigger, and titles are each a line or two lower than the previous cover.

That's really nice.

So is my mother, although I do wish she were a little less lazy sometimes!

Elaine Marie Alphin said...

Yes! My Kindle edition of d&g arrived as promised, although there's no cover art (there was with LAWKI) and the title is capitalized...

I like having all the covers lined up - the new UK covers look a lot more watery than the books actually are. If I bought the books because I liked the covers, I think I'd feel cheated. But, like Wendy, I particularly like the original UK LAWKI artwork.

Of course, if the artwork fails to show up on my Kindle, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Except that I have the set on my bookshelf, as well, where the progression of the moon in the US editions is particularly ominous.

My word verifivation today is "hosagoin" which I interpret to mean that your blog is asking me "how's it going?" to which I would respond that any day I get a good book I've been looking forward to having on my Kindle, it's going pretty well.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hello to Elaine Marie Alphin-

You remain the only person I'm aware of who owns a Kindle, or any kind of electronic book reader (or whatever they're called). What a high class person you must be!

I got an email recently from someone who wanted to know if any of the books were available on whatever the Kindle rival system is. As best I can tell, none are, so National Kindle Release Day is all the more signficant (at least to me).

Paige Y. said...

I may break down and buy a Kindle (or Nook) at some point -- the idea of being able to easily change the font size is quite appealing to my eyes that get increasingly tired. I'm glad your books are getting on Kindle -- one of the things holding me back is that I don't think there's enough young adult literature available.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Paige Y.-

I'm reading a hardback novel now and I have to admit, it's been a lot easier to read once I took my glasses off and raised the book closer to my face. So adaptable print size certainly would have its advantages!

Amazon seems to like people to request potential Kindle titles. Maybe you (and other people) could harass them into buying (or whatever it is they do) more YA novels.

Linda Jacobs said...

Hi Susan, I'm almost embarrassed to say that I now own a Kindle. the kids chipped in and got me one for Christmas.

I didn't think I would like it but have been pleasantly surprised, mainly for the same reason as others: the ability to change the font size. At night my eyes get tired and I can enlarge the font and read much longer.

Of course, I wouldn't be able to run my fingers over the cover and feel the moon if I downloaded your series. But, luckily, I don't have to.

BTW, the ARC of This World We Live In is still making its way around my school. Everyone is enjoying it! Thanks, again!

And, that's another negative about the Kindle; I can't share books with others unless I lend it to them but that's not likely to happen.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Good morning Linda Jacobs-

I still don't see a Kindle in my future (although I firmly support everyone's right to buy my books for use on one).

I just figure I have too many books in my apartment I'm still intending to read to sashay into any new reading format.

And now that I think about it, no one wants to see me sashay!

Judith said...

I have an ebook reader (husband won one at a tech conference two years ago), but I prefer the print. It's nice to have a lovely book's artwork greet you on your freshly made bed. Plus there's no need to recharge your book.

Judith said...

And speaking of mothers, I ordered LAWKI for mine and my MiL.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Judith-

What an astonishing coincidence. As you were posting, I was changing the sheets on my bed (with Scooter's help, of course).

Thank you for purchasing copies of LAWKI for both your mother and mother-in-law (and anybody else you happen to think of!).

Judith said...

Perhaps I need to channel my psychic ability and purchase a lottery ticket. Just one. At least books are a sure thing :). MiL got both LAWKI and TDATG. I bought both orders through the Amazon links on your blog. Maybe you'll get a few extra cents?

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi and thank you Judith-

Yes, I do make a few pennies (literally) when the Amazon links are used, and then after I save and save and save, I spend them all at Amazon.

I hope you don't feel exploited.

My word verification is aneat. If it's implying that I am a neat and tidy author, it's, alas, mistaken. Or maybe it means an-eat, like a nibble or a nosh.

That I can handle!