Monday, August 29, 2011

A Very Short Post Irene Report

Scooter and I and the apartment we share are fine. One small unattractive tree that I can see through the window is sideways, probably not the best direction for a tree to be.

My little impatiens garden, which earlier this summer suffered a vicious groundhog attack, got battered by all the rain.

My brother and sister-in-law, who live in New Jersey, didn't have electricity for much of yesterday, but it's back on.

My mother's nursing home has lost telephone service, so I haven't spoken to her today. I'll be seeing her tomorrow and Wednesday and Friday, so (bad daughter) I'm not driving over today to reassure her.

My flashlight, which I didn't have to use, is still working. I have lots and lots of batteries, except Ds, which for some reason are hard to find. I did buy a couple of those weird square ones, in case I had a desperate need to weigh myself in a blackout.

My kitchen seems to have been declared a fruitfly evacuation center. My hope is when they find out they can go home again, they'll pack their bags and get going. Neither Scooter nor I will miss them!

7 comments:

Emily said...

I'm glad that you are safe. Did you stock up on tuna and chocolate chips, just in case?

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Emily-

I wish I had stocked up on chocolate chips.

Instead I stocked up on C cell batteries, which don't taste nearly as good and don't provide nearly as much emotional sustenance!

Wanda Vaughn said...

Glad you weathered your storm!

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Wanda Vaughn and thank you-

I heard from another of my friends today who still has no electricity. That makes two I've heard from and one I'm too scared to try and find out!

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

Very happy to hear you and Scooter are well!

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hello Lisa-Marie Jordan-

I'm well, Scooter is well, the impatiens garden is making a strong comeback, but the fruitflies tragically were introduced to Raid this morning.

It may have shortened Scooter's and my life expectancies, but it was worth it not to have all those fruit flies buzzing around.

Nina said...

Here in Maine we must be the northern outpost of the Fruit Fly Evacuation centers of North America, of which you must be the south! We can't get rid of them this year, they are very persistent. My husband battles on, I have just learned to put a napkin over my open wine glass...