Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Twitter Me Kindles

My big brother taught me Pirate Talk.

I got an email a week or so ago, asking if Life As We Knew It and the dead and the gone were available on Kindle. The answer is yes and no. Apparently one must beg and plead for a book to make it to Kindleland, and d&g hasn't been begged and pleaded for sufficiently.

I have no idea what my royalty rate is for these things, but if there's any chance I could make money, I'm in favor.

Last week I got a mystery package (I love mystery packages). It contained the Playaway version of my book The Year Without Michael. For those of you (i.e. me) who don't know what a Playaway Book is, I will quote:

Playaway is the simplest way to listen to an audio book on the go. It comes with tbe book already on it and a battery to make it play. Simply plug in its earphones and enjoy. No cassettes or CDs. No downloads. There's nothing left to do but listen.

Now for all of you (i.e. nobody) who wonder whether I twitter, the answer is no. It's miraculous enough that I blog. My friend marvel that I can post pictures (I'm not kidding- they really do marvel at that). But I feel that in deference to the rapidly marching 21st Century, I should at least mock twitter. So here goes:

9 AM- I should do my rewrites.

10 AM- I really should do my rewrites.

11 AM- No point starting the rewrites, since I'll be eating lunch in an hour.

12 PM- Lunch

1 PM- I'd better go out and buy groceries if I intend to eat lunch tomorrow.

3 PM- Who knew the supermarket would have so much food in it!

4 PM- Maybe now I can work on my rewrites.

4:15 PM- It's too close to suppertime to do rewrites. I'll get an early start tomorrow.

If the alternative to rewrites was walking the plank, I might actually do them. But with lunch and supermarkets and supper as distractions, I can hardly be expected to.

I'm off to change the sheets on my bed (see, I do work). Then I'll eat lunch (a woman's got to eat). And then maybe, just maybe, I'll do my rewrites!

18 comments:

Becky said...

I'm like that with writing blog reviews. Lunches and suppers taunt me. :)

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Becky-

For me it's emails. I have to check my emails. Maybe someone left a comment on my blog. I have to check that too. I have to check everything. Check check check.

Do I sound like a woman doing rewrites? Or like one avoiding them?

Anonymous said...

Twitter really becomes one more distraction. I almost wish I never started it because now I want to check it all the time, and I find myself thinking in short sentences that I could possibly "tweet" later on.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Nora-

The internet is so full of distractions. It's one great big distraction pit.

I'd love to claim I pick and choose my distractions wisely, but it's really just a question of which addiction I'll give into.

Oh well. At least the internet is calorie free!

Paige Y. said...

Best laugh I've gotten all week! I have never gotten into Twitter -- just don't need something else to be addicted to.

Linda Jacobs said...

Yeah, I signed up for twitter but never really "got" it! I've never been back. Enough is enough!

Courtney Milan said...

Nonsense! I just read "Life as we Knew It" on my Kindle. And it was good enough that I literally didn't notice the passing of time, and when I finished and realized it had been raining, it took me a while to remember that I *did* have food and we *didn't* have to ration....

I haven't disappeared into a book that hard in months. Thanks! That was absolutely incredible.

Sadly, the dead and the gone is not on Kindle. I will have to raid a bookstore tomorrow.

Courtney Milan said...

I forgot to add--before I went to find your website to look up anything else you might have written, I tweeted about the book:

courtneymilan Just finished "Life as We Knew It" by Pfeffer-- it was essentially post-apocalyptic Little House on the Prairie. D***ed good.

Lee said...

My experience with Twitter:

9:13 AM join Twitter

9:14 AM this is stupid. Quit Twitter. Think I'll go email somebody instead.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hello to Paige Y and Linda Jacobs. Welcome Courtney Milan and thank you for your kind words here and in Twitterland-

The world is a better place if I don't Twitter. At least not in public.

Unfortunately for me, on American Idol tonight, one of the Idolettes sang Rockin' Robin, and now all I can hear is Tweet Tweet Tweet. An unfortunate convergence of technology and television.

Just as I have no idea how I wrote B3, since my resistence to work was so extraordinary (tweet tweet tweet), I'm amazed at how much of the rewriting I've accomplished (tweet tweet). Thanks to my fabulous new ending, I had to go back and rewrite, almost from scratch, 30 or so pages (tweeteley tweet). Before AI came on, I read what I've written over the past couple of days, and it was coherent.

Thank goodness I wrote it before my brain got invaded!

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Lee-

You slipped in while I was (tweet) commenting.

Oh no! Now I'm singing Ain't She Tweet!

I sure hope a good night's sleep knocks this nonsense out of my brain (I have rewrites to do, you know).

Anonymous said...

Hello:

I hope you are enjoying lunch right about now. Stalkers must have a field day with this kind of thing.

(By the way, my wife liked your old chair better than your new one. She thought it had character.)

Glen

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Glen-

I am about to break for lunch, as it happens. Just one of the many breaks I take as I plough my way through rewrites.

Every morning I wake up and think of things I need to change. Then I spend several hours thinking of things to do instead. Like eating lunch.

My old chair did have a lot of character, and a lot of sentimental attachment. My mother gave it to me, a long long time ago. I'd worked on a kitchen chair up until then, and she was buying furniture and bought me the typing chair. I wrote a lot of books on that chair, and actually I waited to replace it until I'd finished the first draft of B3.

So now I sit on my brand new chair and think of things to avoid rewrites. This new chair has a character all its own!

Anonymous said...

See, my wife is always right.

(Or so she tells me.)

Glen

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

That's the disadvantage of living alone.

I'm always right, but I have no one to tell it to!

Amanda Coppedge Bosky said...

Hi Susan,

I just wanted to let you know that the Palm Beach County Library System staff have compiled their annual Favorite Book lists and your book "The Dead and the Gone" is on our Young Adults list! This bibliography appears on our website:

http://www.pbclibrary.org/list-youngadults.htm

And it is also distributed in print form at all our libraries throughout Palm Beach County.

Just thought you’d like to know. :)

--Amanda Bosky
Librarian Trainee
Wellington Branch Library

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Amanda at WEL-

Thank you for your post and for conveying such a nice piece of news.

I don't suppose being on the list guarantees me an all expenses paid trip to Palm Beach County?

I love New York, but I don't love New York in March!

Anonymous said...

I love writing on blogs!!!!!!!!!!
Its something my 5 brothers & sisters cant see or read.

You rock at making didtractions!

-Jill