I have lived through each and every one of this stages and have the battle scars and cholesterol readings to prove it.
1. You email your agent and she emails you because you're getting to know each other and you both want to make a good impression.
2. You email her and she emails you but it takes a day or two because she's no longer quite as interested in making a good impression.
3. You email her and she doesn't email you so you email her again to ask if she got your email and maybe she emails you back to say she did and maybe she doesn't and you'll never ever know and you eat more donuts than usual.
4. You email her even though you know she won't email you back because self-flagellation is so much fun.
5. She emails you. You email back because you can't believe there's actual good news and she emails you in return with a :).
6. You email her with a question and she emails the answer right back even though she's away from the office.
7. You email her and get one of those I'm away from the office responses but her assistant emails you back, albeit not instantaneously.
8. You email her and get one of those I'm away from the office responses, and she emails you back days later when she returns from wherever she was hiding.
9. You email her and you don't get one of those I'm away from the office responses but it takes her as long to answer your email as it would have if she had been away from the office.
10. You email her and a week passes and she doesn't email you back, but life is short and you have money in the bank so instead of emailing her to see if she got your email, you chuckle and write a blog entry. Oh, and eat a donut!