Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Google Will Be So Excited

For those of you who are wondering why I'm writing this entry starting at 7:19 AM, you can blame it on a combination of Scooter's early morning enthusiasm, and rumors that Adam Lambert will be performing on the Early Show. I figure if Adam is on, they'll save him for the second hour, and I can exercycle to him. While I'm waiting, I'll catch you up on everything else.

The big news is that I've created a term that Google never seems to have heard before. It is a description of Scooter's personality, especially as he exhibits it circa 5 AM. Scooter is Purrsive Aggressive!

Actually, the way I was at New Paltz Crafts Fair this weekend, I could have been described as Purseive Aggressive. A quick trip to Google just now shows I invented that one too.

Between following Adam's every potential move and creating terms for Google, I haven't read that much in Mistress Of The Monarchy. Here's what I know so far: Katherine Swynford's parents are either alive or dead, she's either 4 years old or 28, her sister's granddaughter became a duchess, and the black plague killed off feudalism. I sense a great deal of wheel spinning on Alison Weir's part thus far (which is appropriate enough, since Katherine Swynford was a big St. Catherine fan).

I'm getting a little nervous. The Early Show's been on for half an hour, and I haven't heard them mention Adam yet. I'd hate to think I was watching TV this early for naught (not that Scooter would let me sleep this late).

Hmm. They just showed a big crowd, but they still didn't mention Adam. I find this increasingly worrisome.

For those of you who are wondering what's happening with This World We Live In, well I've been wondering too. I did get an email at the end of last week from the newest editor, and here's what she said:

I don't anticipate a lot of changes, just bumping up some emotion, fleshing out character traits here and there, and providing a sense of background to a few questions that arose early on for those who hadn't read the first two books.

I definitely like the part about not a lot of changes, especially since there was no reference to changing the fabulous ending (the changing of which would involve lots and lots of changes). I suppose I could reread the book this week myself, in preparation for the rewrites. I haven't looked at This World since I sent it off over two months ago. Since then I've been to California and Connecticut and New Jersey and New Hampshire and won several awards (none of which I've actually seen) and acquired a kitten (who I see all the time) and solved the problem of my mother's eye drops, and did volunteer work for two different local organizations, and visited with friends, and suffered through the American Idol finale, and watched dozens, possibly zillions, of episodes of Clean House, and planted five window boxes of impatiens, and learned that Nathan Hale was a remarkably incompetent spy and that the black plague was not Katherine Swynford's fault. Not to mention creating two new terms for Google.

I suppose after all that I should be willing to get back to work. Especially if there's no Adam on the Early Show!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

See what you can find out when there's no American Idol? By the way, cut and paste the following to find out more about Adam's father's literary bent. It is: http://www.normanhumal.com/bios.html

Did Adam ever show up on your show?

Say, want to read something interesting? Put "the Battle of Los Angeles" into google. I never knew this before and thought it was fascinating. (You probably knew about it already.)

One last point/question. My son's English teacher told him that 'alright' isn't a word and he won't get into college or find a job if he writes it as one word in a letter. She says only 'all right' is correct. Any thoughts?

Glen

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hallo Glen-

No Adam (after all that waiting and watching). Time Warner lied. Adam taped an appearance, but they won't show it until Thursday. For those who need to know everything (i.e. me), he sang Mad World and some guy yelled, "Move with me to Vermont!"

I was taught to spell it all right, and pretty much threatened with a life of failure and despair if I spelled it alright. Nice to know some things haven't changed.

I'm spending the afternoon reading This World We Live In. Except for little mistakes I keep finding (embarrassing after all the revisions I did), I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Oh- I just remembered. My second book to get published was called Better Than All Right. It sold approximately three copies, and my mother bought two of them. It had a great hardcover jacket though.

Anonymous said...

You must feal pretty sad he didn't show up. My friend didn't like eather one. She is still going crazy over David Cook.

I know this is a reading blog, but do any of you like Taylor Swift? I just got her CD called Fearless.

-Jill

Anonymous said...

By the way, did you decide what to call This World We Live In? And will LAWKI become a movie?
-Jill

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Jill-

I'm still considering your suggestion of MB3, but I'm not absolutely decided yet. If anyone else has suggestions, I'm open to them.

As of the moment, there's no movie version of LAWKI planned. I haven't given up hope yet.

I like David Cook. But I'm looking forward to seeing Adam tomorrow on Regis and Kelly (that's what I'll exercise to in the morning!).

Shelley said...

The reason I decided to visit your blog is to tell you I finally took my friend's advice and read LIFE AS WE KNEW IT. Oh my gosh, lady, you made sure I didn't get a lick of work done at the house today! Now I go in search of the second.

Shelley

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Shelley and welcome to the blog-

Given how actively I avoid working, I'm pleased to have provided you with an excuse as well.

Say hi to your friend with excellent taste for me.

And pardon me while I whoo hoo! My word verification is zinger, which is an actual word and thus should be much more easy to type.

Maybe Google was so delighted I mentioned it in the blog heading, they rewarded me with a real word to identify!