Monday, May 11, 2009

I'm Sure My New Editor Is Very Cute Also

I got an email today from my new editor saying This World We Live In remains on track for a spring 2010 publication. I should be hearing from her in a week or so about rewrites.

I can't really say I'm on vacation, because Wednesday I'm visiting a local school and Thursday I'm exchanging comments with a class in New Jersey and Friday I'm visiting a class a friend of mine teaches.

But the true challenge of the week will be tomorrow morning, when I take Scooter to the vet for his checkup and shots. Scooter, who screamed loud and long when I took him to the vet's three weeks ago (a couple of days after he moved in with me), has become a considerably more quiet cat, although he still meeps on occasion when there's something he absolutely has to tell me. My guess is though, he'll scream loud and long tomorrow on the way to the vet's, at the vet's, and on the way home from the vet's.

He also has a new favorite game, called Purr On The Neck. He favors playing it at 4 AM. The rules are simple. He climbs on my neck and purrs in ecstacy, while stepping on my face. I fear for my eye sockets, but so far there's been no damage, except to my sleep patterns. Since he's not yet three months old, I can still fool him by hiding my head under the coverlet, but when I tried that this morning, it turned out he was under the coverlet himself, so he had no trouble locating me.

When I got home from New Hampshire last Thursday, I found Marci had left me a vase of lilacs. Here's the most recent Scooter movie, posted to remind myself how cute he is, when he screams non-stop tomorrow morning!


9 comments:

jmaster1324 said...

my cat is just like that. any they are a few years old

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Good morning Jmaster1324-

Cats can be pretty silly, even when they grow up.

But I hope Scooter loses interest in Purr On The Neck before then, or else I may end up needing a face transplant!

Anonymous said...

I am from the New Jersey school you will be discussing with. We are all very excited and are anticipating your answers

student said...

Hello Ms. Pfeffer. I am from the WAMS New Jersey school. I am just saying how excited I am to discuss with you.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi to Anonymous and to Student-

I'm looking forward to the discussion Thursday morning. It should be a lot of fun.

Scooter is just back from the vet. He remains a healthy kitten (and he definitely shrieked less, especially on the drive home).

Nora said...

It took my cat, Olive, a few years to stop her screaming in the car. I used to drive with her from Milwaukee to Chicago, and that was quite a long and stressful hour and a half listening to her scream. Now, she only whines a little.

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi Nora-

Isn't the lung power of cats astonishing? Even I, who can whine and kvetch with the best of them, would find it difficult to do so full throttle for an hour and a half!

Linda Jacobs said...

Oh, that video is too funny. I kept wondering if he'd jump and sure enough!

I so wish my husband wasn't allergic to cats!

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Good morning Linda Jacobs-

I think you're being kindly describing Scooter's descent from the table as a jump. To me it looked more like a kitten flop, the kind that all cats recover from with their dignity intact (at least in their catminds).

Scooter spent most of yesterday and all of last night under the sofa, which makes me kind of nervous (he's on my lap now). I think he had a negative reaction to one of of the shots (he definitely didn't like getting it), and he's still a little sore there.

I'm hoping he returns to his usual playful kittenhood today. I kind of missed our 4 AM Purr On The Neck ritual!